Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What is a Mz.?

Mz. [miz]
noun plural Mzes.

1. a title of respect prefixed to a woman’s name. Unlike Miss or Mrs. it does not depend upon or indicate her marital status.

2. a state of mind, one who is free from stereotypes


So, what exactly is a Mz. and what is the purpose of this blog?

Those of you who know me well know I’ve been on a long and hard journey in the last couple of years. I started this school year finally feeling settled and content with my new life. So I decided to make my name fit my current state of being. After years of being Mrs. Ringle, I decided to make the very slight change to Ms. Ringle. (It also subtly ended the questions I would sometimes get from parents about my husband or when I was going to have a baby- which by the way is a truly rude and personal question)

Anyway, a few months ago I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts “You Look Nice Today”. The guys on the program somehow got on the subject of “The Ms.” They made a stereotypical profile of a “divorcee, lonely, and frumpy woman that knew how to knit, read mysteries, had basic cable, and liked cats” And even though it was very funny, I was still somewhat offended. I DO NOT know how to knit…well, anymore. And there’s nothing wrong with basic cable!

Since then a few of my friends (you know who you are- CRAIG) made fun of me and my Ms. status. If I go home early and put on sweats, I’m becoming a Ms. When I put the electric blanket on my bed, I’m a Ms. When I used my great-grandmother’s quilt on my guest bed, total Ms.

So one day I decided, I’m not a Ms. and I don’t want to be a Ms. I decided that I would be a Mz. instead. No difference you say? Well, to me there is. I live free from stereotypes. I’m not sitting at home waiting for life to happen to me. I’m making my life happen. So I’m a Mz. (besides, how often do you get to use Z’s anyway?)

And the reason for the blog? I’ve always been a writer, and I needed a creative outlet for all my random brain barf. I started a blog on my myspace account awhile ago, but I didn’t really like the format, so I decided to move my files here. Thus “Snuggie Tales” was born.

Why “Snuggie Tales”?- You’ll have to wait for another post for that one.

3 comments:

  1. You need to have this one published in a woman's magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping over to let you know you have another reader!

    I'm loving the Mz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random brain barf...lol I love it.

    ReplyDelete